The Incredible Benefits of Soybean Oil for Aging Skin
As we age, maintaining healthy and youthful skin becomes a top priority for many individuals. Thankfully, nature provides us with a powerful ally in the form of soybean extract and soybean oil. These natural ingredients have been found to possess numerous benefits for aging skin, making them essential components of any effective skincare routine. In this blog, we will focus on the remarkable qualities of soybean oil and how they can transform your skin.
What is Soybean Oil And Where Does It Come From?
Soybean oil is derived from the soybean plant, a legume native to East Asia. This versatile plant is widely used in the production of fermented foods like soy sauce, tofu, tempeh, and miso. Within soybeans, a class of bioflavonoids called isoflavones can be found, with genistein, daidzein, and glycitein being the prominent ones. Daidzein, in particular, undergoes partial metabolism by the gut microbiota to produce equol, a highly bioavailable metabolite that amplifies the health benefits of soy isoflavones.
When it comes to sourcing soybean seed extract, it is important to prioritize quality and efficacy. Soybean Seed Extract is typically standardized to contain a minimum of 40% soy isoflavones. It is also important to ensure that the extract is non-GMO, gluten-free, vegan, and certified Kosher and Halal.
Now, let's explore the remarkable mechanisms through which soybean oil and its effects on aging skin.
How Does Soybean Oil Benefit The Skin?
Promotes Healthy Aging and Longevity
Soybean oil actively supports anti-senescence mechanisms, effectively combating the signs of aging. It influences cellular functions involved in managing stressed cells, thereby supporting overall cellular health and vitality. Additionally, soybean oil supports autophagy, a process that ensures the proper recycling of cellular components and enhances cellular efficiency.
Enhances Cellular Signaling
The powerful compounds found in soybean extract influence various cellular signaling pathways, playing a pivotal role in maintaining skin health. They modulate PI3K/AKT, NF-κB, AMPK, and SIRT1 signaling, all of which are vital for optimal cellular function.
Unveils Radiant Skin
When it comes to skincare, soybean oil is rich in Vitamin E, Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, manganese, protein, and isoflavones, and offers remarkable benefits for the skin:
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles: Soybean extract helps minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, rejuvenating the skin.
- Enhanced skin elasticity: By supporting the production of essential proteins like collagen, soybean oil promotes skin elasticity, ensuring a youthful and supple appearance.
- Healthy skin structure: Soybean oil plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy skin structure by supporting fibroblast renewal, dermal extracellular matrix (ECM) structure, and dermal vascularity.
- Defense against environmental stress: The potent antioxidants in soybean shield the skin from environmental stressors, helping it adapt and maintain its vitality.
- Soybean oil supports the skin's ability to repair damaged DNA, fortifying its defense mechanisms. It also aids in healthy immune/cytokine signaling, contributing to overall skin health.
- Protection against oxidative stress: With its robust antioxidant properties, soybean counters oxidative stress, a major contributor to skin aging.
- Maintaining a healthy skin barrier: Soybean extract influences the ERβ-Nrf2 signaling pathway, supporting a robust and resilient skin barrier [51,52].
- Regulation of skin androgen signaling: Soybean extract modulates skin androgen signaling via type 1 5α-reductase, ensuring optimal skin health.
- Prevention of advanced glycation end product (AGE) production: By countering the production of AGEs, soybean extract helps maintain youthful-looking skin.
- Reduction of skin aging biomarkers: Soybean has been shown to reduce the expression of specific biomarkers associated with skin aging, such as S100 CBP A8 and S100 CBP A9.
A study found that soybean oil protects against UV-induced inflammation. Consistent usage of soybean oil, rich in vitamin E, can boost sun protection alongside your sunscreen, as it has been shown to possess anti-inflammatory properties that prevent skin swelling and redness following overexposure to UV rays. However, it's crucial to remember that soybean oil doesn't replace sunscreen, as it mainly protects against UVB rays, not UVA rays. Moreover, the anti-inflammatory effects of vitamin E can also contribute to reducing the appearance of acne, scarring, and blotchiness resulting from skin conditions like rosacea. So, adding soybean oil to your skincare routine can offer additional support for healthier and more protected skin.
Skin Barrier Strengthening and Repair
Abundant in vitamin E, this potent antioxidant fortifies your skin's barrier, shielding it against free radicals that accelerate signs of aging, such as fine lines, wrinkles, and discoloration. With a strengthened skin barrier, moisture is effectively locked in, leading to healthier, more youthful-looking skin in the long run.
Supports Menopausal Skin
As we age, our skin tends to sag due to a reduction in collagen production. The drop in collagen becomes particularly evident during menopause, with a significant decline of around 30%, far exceeding the typical yearly decrease of about 1%.
Soy mimics the hormone estrogen, hence mitigating the effects of menopause on the skin. In laboratory testing, genistein, a key isoflavones in soy oil, was found to stimulate collagen synthesis (Kawashima et al., 1996) and downregulate matrix metalloproteinases (Shao et al.). As a result, the topical application of isoflavones proves beneficial not only for postmenopausal skin, where it replenishes the lost endogenous estrogen; but also for normal skin when used to address concerns like cellulite or overall dullness.
What's The Best Product for Menopausal Women that Contains Soybean Oil?
Incorporating soybean oil into your skincare regimen can lead to remarkable improvements in the health and appearance of your skin. With its wide-ranging benefits, this natural wonder is a true gift from nature, offering a holistic approach to combating the signs of aging.
One important factor to note is that soybean oil is best used for sensitive and dry skin types; and that it may not be best suited for those that are oily and have a tendency to have clogged pores.
The Beauty Doctrine's Estro Skin Support was created using cold-pressed, organic Soybean oil; blended with nature's lightest oil - Grapeseed oil. This blend of the two oils not only delivers a powerful antiaging serum; but does it in a way that makes it suitable for all skin types. Grapeseed Oil balances the occlusivity factor in the soybean, and makes it lighter in consistency, hence less likely to act as occlusive, but rather a lightweight treatment.
Soybean oil has proven to be immensely beneficial for aging skin. From promoting healthy aging and cellular function to supporting collagen production, helping restore skin thickness during menopause.
As a blogger, my content may include affiliate links from advertisers. I may earn a small commission from actions readers take on these links such as a purchase, or subscribe. All my recommendations are based on my own research and personal trust in the products that I share. I am not a doctor or nutritionist. Please consult with your practitioner prior to using any products recommended.