THE BEST TOXIN-FREE HOUSE CLEANING PRODUCTS
When it comes to the food we eat and the things we ingest naturally, we are really conscious of the sources and avoid ingredients that might be harmful to us. The same goes for skincare products as we have started moving more to clean skincare products instead of products that contain harmful chemicals. Read this blog I wrote if you are not yet aboard on clean skincare products.
However, one thing we often forget to pay attention to is our cleaning products. We often do not scrutinize our cleaning products as much as we scrutinize our foods and skincare products. There are many toxic chemicals that are used to produce our house cleaning products and unfortunately, we buy these products and expose ourselves to these toxins.
There is the need to be more conscious about the products we use to clean our houses and start using toxin-free products. Luckily, I have compiled a list of the best toxin-free cleaning products in this blog. Keep reading to find out more.
Reasons You Should Use Toxin-Free Cleaning Products
There are several reasons why someone might choose to use toxic-free cleaning products. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Health: Many conventional cleaning products contain toxic chemicals that can be harmful to human health, especially if they are inhaled, ingested, or come into contact with the skin. Some of these chemicals have been linked to respiratory problems, skin irritation, hormonal disruptions, and even cancer.
- Environment: Conventional cleaning products can also have a negative impact on the environment, as many of them contain harsh chemicals that can be harmful to aquatic life and other wildlife. These chemicals can also contribute to air pollution and water contamination.
- Safety: Toxic cleaning products can be dangerous if not used properly. Accidental ingestion or inhalation of these products can lead to serious health problems, especially for children and pets.
- Performance: Many people find that toxic-free cleaning products work just as well as conventional products, without the added health and environmental risks.
Ingredients That Are Toxic
There are several ingredients commonly found in cleaning products that can be toxic, both to humans and the environment. Some of the most common ones are:
- Ammonia: This ingredient is commonly found in glass and window cleaners. It can be harmful if inhaled or ingested, causing irritation to the eyes, skin, throat, and lungs. It can also be dangerous when mixed with other cleaning chemicals, such as bleach, which can produce toxic fumes.
- Bleach (sodium hypochlorite): Bleach is a strong oxidizer and disinfectant commonly found in cleaning products like toilet bowl cleaners, mold and mildew removers, and some laundry detergents. It can cause skin and eye irritation, respiratory issues, and even chemical burns. It can also be extremely dangerous when mixed with other cleaning chemicals, such as ammonia, which can produce toxic fumes.
- Phthalates: These are a group of chemicals that are often used as fragrance additives in cleaning products. They can disrupt hormones and have been linked to reproductive and developmental issues.
- Triclosan: This ingredient is often found in antibacterial cleaning products like hand soaps and dishwashing liquids. It can cause skin irritation and has been linked to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
- 2-butoxyethanol: This is a common solvent found in many all-purpose cleaners, window cleaners, and stain removers. It can cause irritation to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system, and can be toxic if ingested.
- Formaldehyde: This is a preservative often used in cleaning products. It can cause skin and eye irritation and has been classified as a human carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.
These ingredients are toxic because they can cause a range of health issues, from mild irritation to serious illness or even death. In addition to their effects on human health, some of these ingredients can also be harmful to the environment, particularly if they are not properly disposed of or if they contaminate water sources. It's important to read product labels and avoid products that contain these ingredients, or use them only with appropriate safety precautions
TOXIN-FREE HOUSE CLEANING PRODUCTS
There are many toxin-free alternatives to traditional cleaning products that can still do an effective job cleaning. Here are some examples:
- Vinegar: Vinegar is a natural, non-toxic cleaner that can be used for a variety of cleaning tasks. It's great for cleaning windows, mirrors, and other glass surfaces, and it can also be used to remove stains and odors from carpets and upholstery.
Harris Cleaning Vinegar All Purpose Househould Surface Cleaner is a perfect example of a vinegar cleaner that cleans and refreshes. It has a combination of vinegar and essential oils that helps it remove dirt, grease and grime safely from most household surfaces. It also has a pleasant scent that engulfs your home and takes away all unpleasant odors. It is free from any form of chemicals and purely made from vinegar and essential oil thereby making it very safe for use.
It is suitable for use on stainless steel, ceramic, glass, kitchen, bathrooms, windows, showers, and toilets.This is your perfect “go-to” all-purpose cleaner!
2. Baking soda: Baking soda is another natural, non-toxic cleaner that can be used for a variety of tasks. It's great for cleaning and deodorizing sinks, tubs, and toilets, and it can also be used to remove stains from clothing and carpets.
Bon Ami Powder Cleanser is made out of biodegradable, hypoallergenic ingredients including limestone, feldspar mineral powder, soda ash, baking soda, and a surfactant called alkylbenzene sulfonic acid. This multipurpose cleaner can be used to remove grime and dirt from all areas of the house. It works great on granite, ceramic tiles, chrome, porcelain, stainless steel, copper, cooktops & brass.
It is also hypoallergenic & contains no chlorine, perfume or dye! Perfect for those that are sensitive to odors.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice is a natural cleaner and deodorizer that can be used to clean and disinfect surfaces like cutting boards and countertops. It can also be used to remove stains and brighten white clothes.
Ecover Naturally Derived Liquid Dish Soap, Fragrance-Free isa liquid wash soap that is made out of citric acid and is packed with more cleaning power than ever. It easily cuts through grease for spot-free, sparkling clean, dishes. Apart from it being a high quality dishwashing soap, it is also made from 100% non-toxic biodegradable materials and is cruelty-free. It is made with only renewable plant-based ingredients and contains 0% fragrance, dyes, and/or chlorine. Its bottle is also made with recycled plastic.
Are you looking for a dishwashing liquid that is gentle on your skin, safe for the environment, and washes well? Then, this Ecover dishwashing liquid is the perfect match for you.
If you prefer to have an easy and effective way of cleaning your dishes using your dishwasher, then Truly Free non-toxic dishwasher cleaner is the perfect choice! This dishwasher cleaner is formulated using nature-driven chemistry to effortlessly deep-clean every space and crevice in your dishwasher without toxic chemicals! The best part is it is also extremely easy to use, simply open a pouch and sprinkle the contents around bottom of empty dishwasher. Then start a heavy hot water wash cycle and let your dishwasher do the rest of the work.
- Castile soap: Castile soap is a natural, plant-based soap that can be used for a variety of cleaning tasks. It's great for cleaning floors, countertops, and bathrooms, and it can also be used as a laundry detergent.
Dr. Bronner’s - Pure-Castile Liquid Soap Lavender is three times more concentrated than most liquid soaps which makes it suitable for multiple uses like mopping, laundry, washing dishes, washing surfaces, washing pets, and so much more! It is made with all-natural biodegradable and vegan ingredients that pose no threat to your skin and the environment. It is also free from synthetic preservatives, detergents, foaming ingredients, and is cruelty-free. Here’s another all-purpose cleaner that is perfect for you.
- Essential oils: Essential oils like tea tree oil and lavender oil have natural antibacterial properties and can be used to clean and disinfect surfaces. They can also be added to homemade cleaning solutions to provide a natural, fresh scent
For those that prefer a spray bottle option, Mrs. Meyer's All-Purpose Cleaner Spray is what I recommend. It is made from essential oils and features hard-working yet gentle multi purpose cleaning agents, while also providing a special, singular scent for your entire home. It is great on all non-porous surfaces like finished, tile floors, countertops, walls, porcelain, bathroom fixtures, sealed natural and synthetic stone, and more.
This spray all-purpose cleaner spray is available in other garden inspired scents and biodegradable products such as dish soaps and laundry detergents.
For those looking for a safe way to do laundry, Zuma Organic laundry detergent is a great option. This natural non-toxic cleansing detergent removes dirt, grime and odors from fabrics. while being vegan, non-GMO, biodegradable and eco-friendly! Made from 100% natural and organic ingredients this detergent hypoallergenic making it safe for sensitive and dry skin.
Save 15% of this product with discount code: BeautyDoctrine.
- Microfiber cloths: Microfiber cloths are a non-toxic, reusable alternative to paper towels and traditional cleaning cloths. They can be used to clean a variety of surfaces without the need for additional cleaning products.
S&T INC. Microfiber Cleaning Cloth contains 50 reusable multipurpose microfiber towels in one pack. They are ultra-soft, lint free cleaning towels that are super absorbent which makes them to be suitable to be used as kitchen towels, glass polishing cloths, and more. They are also machine washable, durable, and come in a sturdy pack that makes them easy to store. These microfibre towels are the best alternative to paper towels because they are cheaper.
These are just a few examples of the many non-toxic alternatives to traditional cleaning products. It's important to read product labels and research ingredients to ensure that the products you choose are truly non-toxic and safe for your family and the environment.